ComReg reports 2.7% dip in 1Q10 revenues for telcos

5 Jul 2010

The Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) has released its quarterly report for the period January – March 2010, showing that revenues for telecoms operators dipped 10% year-on-year to EUR949 million (USD1.19 billion) and, moreover, recorded their seventh quarterly drop in succession. The watchdog said that mobile revenue was hardest hit: down 5% quarter-on-quarter and 13.4% lower than for the first three months of 2009. On a more positive note, total internet and broadband subscriptions increased to 1.615 million and 1.509 million respectively in the period under review, although narrowband subscriptions fell 17.7% to 105,098 as broadband connections (fixed and mobile) increased by 4.6%. ComReg said the fixed broadband per capita penetration rate reached 22.4% by the start of April 2010, while the total broadband per capita penetration rate (including mobile broadband) stood at 33.9%. Cellular penetration per capita (including mobile broadband) was 119.9% at the same date, or 108.4% when excluding mobile broadband. Total quarterly voice traffic minutes increased marginally by 0.3% to almost 4.6 billion minutes, broken down as mobile minutes accounting for 57.1%, with fixed line voice call minutes making up the remainder (42.9%).

Ireland,Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg),

Subscribe

Subscribe to CommsUpdate to get the day’s top telecom headlines delivered to your email.

Subscribe to CommsUpdate

Feedback

Have feedback, corrections, or story ideas? Send them to editors@commsupdate.com.

Browse Past Issues

Filter

Filter CommsUpdate by the following categories or use the search.

Search

Visit our help page information on performing advanced searches, including how to restrict the results by country or company.

Advertise

CommsUpdate is an outstanding advertising venue for companies seeking to reach:

  • International carriers
  • Wholesale service providers
  • Equipment and software vendors
  • Telecom investors
  • Regulators

Learn more about advertising on CommsUpdate.

Share