RNT awarded fourth mobile licence

23 Jan 2009

Rede Nacional de Telecomunicacoes (RNT), the only bidder in last year’s tender to become Portugal’s fourth mobile operator, has been officially awarded the 450MHz-470MHz spectrum licence by regulator Anacom. Portugal’s three existing cellular licensees – TMN, Vodafone and Optimus – were barred from the new auction, and although Zon Multimedia, AR Telecom, Cabovisao, Oni and CTT were rumoured to be interested, the tender failed to attract any other bidders when it closed in October 2008.

RNT is 85% owned by UK-based Telephony Holdings with Portugal’s Radiomovel holding the remaining 15%. Wireless Federation reports RNT is planning to invest EUR40 million in the new venture and launch operations by the end of 2009. The new operator is looking to attract 300,000 subscribers initially and ultimately plans to have national coverage.

Portugal,

Subscribe

Subscribe to CommsUpdate to get the day’s top telecom headlines delivered to your email.

Subscribe to CommsUpdate

Browse

Filter

Filter CommsUpdate by the following categories or use the search.

Search

Visit our help page information on performing advanced searches, including how to restrict the results by country or company.

Advertise

CommsUpdate is an outstanding advertising venue for companies seeking to reach:

  • International carriers
  • Wholesale service providers
  • Equipment and software vendors
  • Telecom investors
  • Regulators

Learn more about advertising on CommsUpdate.

Share