GrameenPhone shines amongst Telenor units’ performance

20 Feb 2007

In the fourth quarter of 2006 Bangladeshi mobile market leader GrameenPhone saw the highest operating profit margin and the sharpest rise in revenues amongst the subsidiaries of Nordic telecoms group Telenor. In the three months to 31 December GrameenPhone’s sales increased by 45% year-on-year to NOK1.229 billion (USD201 million), with an operating profit margin of 42.3%. For the full year GrameenPhone posted an operating profit of NOK1.836 billion on turnover of NOK4.314 billion, as its GSM subscriber base near-doubled from 5.542 million to 10.759 million. Telenor said GrameenPhone’s market share remained stable at 63% at the end of the year, but that monthly ARPU decreased by 22% in local currency terms, primarily due to falling average prices. GrameenPhone is 62% owned by Telenor with the other 38% held by domestic company Grameen Telecom, a unit of Grameen Bank. Telenor has mobile operations in countries including Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Pakistan, Russia, Hungary, Ukraine, Montenegro, Malaysia and Thailand.

Bangladesh, GrameenPhone,

Subscribe

Subscribe to CommsUpdate to get the day’s top telecom headlines delivered to your email.

Subscribe to CommsUpdate

Browse

Filter

Filter CommsUpdate by the following categories or use the search.

Search

Visit our help page information on performing advanced searches, including how to restrict the results by country or company.

Advertise

CommsUpdate is an outstanding advertising venue for companies seeking to reach:

  • International carriers
  • Wholesale service providers
  • Equipment and software vendors
  • Telecom investors
  • Regulators

Learn more about advertising on CommsUpdate.

Share