ADSL boosts broadband internet sector

29 Mar 2004

Portugal’s communications regulator Anacom has said the number of broadband internet connections nationwide grew by 93% to 500,000 in 2003, driven by a dramatic rise in the popularity of ADSL. During the year the number of ADSL customers grew by 255% to 184,000, whilst the number of households taking broadband internet services via cable TV networks rose by 52% to 315,000. Anacom claims that broadband now accounts for 7% of all internet access connections in Portugal, with the remaining 93%, or 6.7 million, comprising mainly narrowband dial-up accesses. 52 companies are registered to provide internet access services in Portugal, of which 25 are operational. During 2003 the penetration of internet services in Portugal rose from 49.6% to 69.3%, whilst the broadband penetration rate grew from 2.5% to 4.8%.

Portugal,

Subscribe

Subscribe to CommsUpdate to get the day’s top telecom headlines delivered to your email.

Subscribe to CommsUpdate

Browse

Filter

Filter CommsUpdate by the following categories or use the search.

Search

Visit our help page information on performing advanced searches, including how to restrict the results by country or company.

Advertise

CommsUpdate is an outstanding advertising venue for companies seeking to reach:

  • International carriers
  • Wholesale service providers
  • Equipment and software vendors
  • Telecom investors
  • Regulators

Learn more about advertising on CommsUpdate.

Share