Russian company ‘wants to buy’ MTS Belarus stake, ambassador says

13 Jun 2014

Alexander Surikov, Russia’s ambassador to Belarus, has told reporters that a Russian company wants to buy the Belarusian government’s 51% stake in MTS Belarus, although he stopped short of naming the group involved. The remaining 49% of the targeted cellco is owned by MobileTeleSystems (MTS) of Russia which has long harboured ambitions to buy out the shares, but has refused to pay the high asking price. In December last year the government in Minsk reduced the asking price of its controlling stake in MTS Belarus from USD1 billion to USD863 million in a bid to improve its fortunes, but the move had little effect, as in February this year it was forced to admit that its latest auction had foundered due to a lack of bids. The Russian group earlier maintained it values the stake at closer to USD450 million-USD500 million.

Belarus, Russia, Mobile TeleSystems (MTS), MTS Belarus,

Subscribe

Subscribe to CommsUpdate to get the day’s top telecom headlines delivered to your email.

Subscribe to CommsUpdate

Feedback

Have feedback, corrections, or story ideas? Send them to editors@commsupdate.com.

Browse Past Issues

Filter

Filter CommsUpdate by the following categories or use the search.

Search

Visit our help page information on performing advanced searches, including how to restrict the results by country or company.

Advertise

CommsUpdate is an outstanding advertising venue for companies seeking to reach:

  • International carriers
  • Wholesale service providers
  • Equipment and software vendors
  • Telecom investors
  • Regulators

Learn more about advertising on CommsUpdate.

Share