Etisalat offers to buy out Maroc Telecom’s minority shareholding

21 May 2014

UAE-based Emirates Telecommunications Corporation (Etisalat), which agreed to acquire Vivendi’s controlling 53% stake in Moroccan incumbent telco Maroc Telecom last week, has submitted a mandatory tender offer to buy out the remaining minority shareholders in the North African firm. According to a press release, the bid currently awaits approval from the Moroccan Capital Market Authority. The company did not, however, reveal the price per share it proposed; under bourse rules, companies do not need to offer minority shareholders the same price per share they paid in the majority shareholder acquisition. The Kingdom of Morocco is the second largest shareholder in the Moroccan operator with a 30% stake, while 17% of the company is publicly floated.

As previously reported by TeleGeography’s CommsUpdate, last week Etisalat completed the acquisition of French media group Vivendi’s 53% shareholding in Maroc Telecom, via its indirect subsidiary Etisalat International North Africa (EINA), for a final consideration of EUR4.138 billion (USD5.675 billion). Etisalat holds 91.3% of EINA’s capital, while the Abu Dhabi Fund for Development owns the remaining 8.7% stake. The consolidation of Maroc Telecom and its subsidiaries will start in earnest this month.

Morocco, Emirates Telecommunications Corporation (Etisalat), Maroc Telecom,

Subscribe

Subscribe to CommsUpdate to get the day’s top telecom headlines delivered to your email.

Subscribe to CommsUpdate

Feedback

Have feedback, corrections, or story ideas? Send them to editors@commsupdate.com.

Browse Past Issues

Filter

Filter CommsUpdate by the following categories or use the search.

Search

Visit our help page information on performing advanced searches, including how to restrict the results by country or company.

Advertise

CommsUpdate is an outstanding advertising venue for companies seeking to reach:

  • International carriers
  • Wholesale service providers
  • Equipment and software vendors
  • Telecom investors
  • Regulators

Learn more about advertising on CommsUpdate.

Share