Swisscom has announced that it has inked a deal with Winterthur Public Utilities (WPU) to supply Winterthur with a fibre-optic network. Swisscom will invest 60% of the investment, whilst WPU will provide the remaining 40%. Four fibres will be connected to each household and business, two for Swisscom and two for WPU to lease to other providers. As the market leader, Swisscom is obliged to ensure that competition is possible, in order to meet this requirement, all service providers will receive non-discriminatory access to the network even if they have not invested in the expansion themselves. The two companies aim to have more than 90% of the city covered by 2017.
Subscribe to CommsUpdate to get the day’s top telecom headlines delivered to your email.
Filter CommsUpdate by the following categories or use the search.
Visit our help page information on performing advanced searches, including how to restrict the results by country or company.
CommsUpdate is an outstanding advertising venue for companies seeking to reach:
- International carriers
- Wholesale service providers
- Equipment and software vendors
- Telecom investors