France Télécom (FT) would consider strategic tie-ups with private equity groups in a bid to increase its overseas presence, writes Dow Jones citing the company’s chief executive Didier Lombard last Friday. The CEO said teaming up with a private equity firm would enable the French operator to better manoeuvre itself in the financial arena – given its high levels of debt. FT has an eye on possible acquisitions in Algeria (Algeria Telecom) and Vietnam and only last month teamed up with Mid-Europa Partners to buy a stake in Austrian cellular operator ONE. FT purchased a 35% interest while the investment group took the remaining 65% in a deal valuing ONE at around EUR1.4 billion. More importantly, given FT’s international ambitions, the transaction had no adverse impact on its net debt ratio targets – an important parameter to a company with net debts of EUR42 billion at end-2006.
Subscribe to CommsUpdate to get the day’s top telecom headlines delivered to your email.
Filter CommsUpdate by the following categories or use the search.
Visit our help page information on performing advanced searches, including how to restrict the results by country or company.
CommsUpdate is an outstanding advertising venue for companies seeking to reach:
- International carriers
- Wholesale service providers
- Equipment and software vendors
- Telecom investors